Malaysia tablet market booming
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The tablet market in Malaysia has grown by 20 percent to reach US$182 million during the first five months of 2013, research company GfK said in an official press release.
Nearly 450,000 tablets flew off the shelves in the January to May period in Malaysia this year, an increase of over 170,000 or 61 percent compared to the same period last year.
'The vast improvement in wireless broadband has increased the number of hotspots available [also] the high number of smart phones in the country facilitate tethering and do away with the need for an external Internet connection,' GfK managing director for Malaysia Selinna Chin said.
GfK retail audit findings on tablet sales showed at least 78,000 tablets had been snapped up every month since the beginning of the year, with 97,000 bought in May alone. The Malaysian tablet market boasts 142 tablet models spanning 44 local and international brands.
'We predict more brands entering the Malaysian tablet market, giving the big players a run for their money,' Chin said. 'Prices will continue to fall, along with the introduction of more new features to step up the intensity of competition.'
Over the last 12 months, the price of tablets has gradually declined from $497 in June 2012 to a low of $397 in May, a substantial price drop of 20 percent in a year.
'The immense popularity of tablets in Malaysia has intensified competition among key players who are offering new models and attractive promotions,' Chin said.
You might also like :
- Visiting Pyongyang, Jakarta's North Korean restaurant
- When two food trends collide: Martabak Samyang
- Jokowi warns Freeport
- Danger of terrorist recidivism in prisons
- Jokowi and Turnbull to focus on economic, strategic links
- FPI leader to testify against Ahok next week
- Police beef up security in Intan Jaya
- Indorama invests US$25 million in rubber glove industry
- Grand launch of Kertajati Airport set for mid next year
- Banten administration questions slow progress of Serang-Panimbang toll road