Wawan's 'illicit' assets exceed Rp 50b: KPK
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) said that it had traced assets belonging to graft suspect Tubagus Chaeri 'Wawan' Wardana, totaling more than Rp 50 billion (US$4.1 million), in the form of plots of land and buildings allegedly related to money laundering.
An internal source within the KPK said that the assets of the brother of Banten Governor Ratu Atut Chosiyah, who the KPK has charged with corruption and extortion, were located mostly in Jakarta and South Tangerang.
'The initial tracing has found more than Rp 50 billion in total. The team is still working to trace more assets and the total result will likely surprise us,' the source said.
Wawan was arrested by the KPK on Oct. 3 last year for allegedly offering a bribe of Rp 1 billion to the former Constitutional Court (MK) chief justice Akil Mochtar in relation to the Lebak election dispute that was being adjudicated by the court. Atut was also named a suspect in the case.
The KPK also named Wawan a suspect in relation to the procurement of medical equipment in Banten and South Tangerang, which is led by Wawan's wife, Airin Rachmi Diany, as mayor.
You might also like :
- 53 injured as Saudi jet makes emergency landing
- Anwar reassures Malays who fear losing racial advantage
- Police find 'missing' teen's body at South Jakarta apartment
- Commentary: Soeharto's most likely successor? How about Prabowo?
- Castle restoration plan with no elevators causing controversy
- Police probe Jakarta officials on fatal Monas incident
- Joey Alexander among '50 Asians to watch'
- Danish minister says Ramadan fasting can be 'dangerous'
- Australian archbishop guilty of concealing child sex abuse
- How new antiterrorism law will change Indonesia's war on terror