PT KAI to roll out Kamandaka train for Semarang-Purwokerto
The Jakarta Post
State-owned train operator PT Kereta Api Indonesia (KAI) has said it would being running its Kamandaka train plying the Semarang-Perwokerto route in Central Java on Monday.
With a capacity of 742 seats, the train will take four hours to reach its destination, faster than taking public buses.
The fare is Rp 70,000 (US$5.91) for the 245-km journey.
The Kamandaka train starts from Semarang Tawang train station and arrives in Purwokerto train stations with stops in Bumiayu, Slawi, Tegal, Pemalang, Pekalongan, Weleri and Semarang Poncol stations.
Earlier on Saturday, the PT KAI IV/Semarang Operations Region rolled out its Kalijaga train linking the provincial capital of Semarang with tourist destination Surakarta.
With a capacity of 530 seats, the fare is set at Rp 25,000 for the 114-km journey which takes three hours and 23 minutes.
The Kalijaga train starts from Purwosari train station in Surakarta with stops at Solo Balapan, Gundih and Kedungjati stations before arriving at Semarang Tawang.
"We are trying to serve the public's need for convenient public transportation,' the operations region spokesman Eko Budiyanto said on Sunday.
'There are already enthusiasts for the Kalijaga train, which only started operations on Saturday.'
He said the first trip on Saturday went well and arrived at Solo Purwosari train station only two minutes late.
The Kalijaga train replaced the Pandanwangi and Banyubiru trains, which were retired in 2011.
Both the Kamandaka and Kalijaga trains are air-conditioned, economy trains on which smoking is prohibited. (krb/nvn)
You might also like :
- Ahok mania spreads far beyond Jakarta
- Telkomsel website hacked
- Long marches against Ahok to continue
- Lame-duck Ahok sees mounting defiance
- Elephant kills tour owner in Klungkung
- KPK says it will stick to rules over investigation confidentiality
- Translation more hobby than work for novelist Murakami
- Golkar says corrupt cadres harm political targets
- Indonesian women's group issues edict against child marriage
- KPK summons Quran procurement graft suspect