PPP, Gerindra coalition canceled
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The United Development Party (PPP) has decided to annul party chairman Suryadharma Ali's pledge of support for the Gerindra Party and Prabowo Subianto's presidential candidacy.
The decision to cancel the putative coalition was made in a meeting held on Friday evening.
PPP secretary-general M. Romahurmuziy said the cancellation was legitimate according to party bylaws because the meeting was attended by more than half of the party's central executive board, kompas.com reported on Saturday.
The party had decided in a February meeting to hold a national leadership meeting (Rapimnas) to discuss coalition-building after the General Elections Commission (KPU) had finished its official tally of the votes cast in the April 9 legislative election. That plan, however, was changed and the meeting is schduled to be held on Saturday night.
On Friday afternoon, Suryadharma had declared a coalition with the Gerindra Party and to support Prabowo Subianto for president.
PPP executives also have said that by pledging the party's support to Prabowo, Suryadharma had gone against a decision made during the February meeting to communicate with eight presidential hopefuls listed by the party. Prabowo was not included on the list. (put/nvn)
You might also like :
- EDITORIAL: Strangers of the same race
- No deal yet on Freeport’s 51% share divestment: Luhut
- Model urges Kendari mayor to apologize for defaming her
- Airport train to start operating in November
- Jember airport development kicks off
- Escaped Malaysian prisoner believed to be in home country: Bali Police
- LNG import is a cheaper option: Luhut
- Solo dining, karaoke strike chord among solitary Japanese consumers
- Indonesia projected to produce only 55,000 tons of salt this month
- Court orders First Travel to repay customers