PPP, Gerindra coalition canceled
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The United Development Party (PPP) has decided to annul party chairman Suryadharma Ali's pledge of support for the Gerindra Party and Prabowo Subianto's presidential candidacy.
The decision to cancel the putative coalition was made in a meeting held on Friday evening.
PPP secretary-general M. Romahurmuziy said the cancellation was legitimate according to party bylaws because the meeting was attended by more than half of the party's central executive board, kompas.com reported on Saturday.
The party had decided in a February meeting to hold a national leadership meeting (Rapimnas) to discuss coalition-building after the General Elections Commission (KPU) had finished its official tally of the votes cast in the April 9 legislative election. That plan, however, was changed and the meeting is schduled to be held on Saturday night.
On Friday afternoon, Suryadharma had declared a coalition with the Gerindra Party and to support Prabowo Subianto for president.
PPP executives also have said that by pledging the party's support to Prabowo, Suryadharma had gone against a decision made during the February meeting to communicate with eight presidential hopefuls listed by the party. Prabowo was not included on the list. (put/nvn)
You might also like :
- EDITORIAL: Politics in Pertamina shakeup
- Setya Novanto e-ID graft case timeline
- Danareksa eyes Rp 500 billion AUM from new ETF product
- Education ministry cancels anti-LGBT event
- Don't panic, minister says as rupiah weakens
- Man dies of exhaustion on South Jakarta road
- Maria Simorangkir crowned Indonesian Idol 2018
- Chiang Mai woman’s tattoo is ‘practical magic’
- Rp 1 trillion invested through Bareksa digital investment portal
- Big secrets, bumper box-office for 'Avengers: Infinity War'