Govt to revise law on child protection
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The government will speed up the revision of Law No. 23 on Child Protection to strengthen legal enforcement of and prevention of child abuse and violence.
The revision would include heavier punishment for child abuse perpetrators and improved children's rights in line with the International Convention on Children's Rights, Indonesian Women's Empowerment and Child Protection Minister Linda Amaliasari Gumelar told the press after attending a meeting on child protection led by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono in Jakarta on Wednesday.
"The process of the revision of the law is expected to be carried out (by the government) together with the current House of Representatives. We are ready with the scientific study," the minister said as quoted by Antara news agency.
Coordinating Minister for People's Welfare Agung Laksono said the government had outlined 40 planned activities for a national movement against child abuse and violence to be implemented by the government and all community levels.
The 40 activities include the revision of the law on child protection, he added.
The movement will involve 17 ministries, which will discuss and draft a presidential instruction to be implemented nationally and at the regional level. The participation of the government and the community in general, including NGOs, is needed," he noted.
President Yudhoyono led a limited cabinet meeting, which was also attended by Vice President Boediono, on Wednesday to discuss the government's plan to launch the national movement against child abuse and violence. (hhr)
You might also like :
- OK Otrip opposed by minivan operators
- Sandiaga admits allowing ‘becak’ a political contract
- Men treated as dogs and pigs in Paris catwalk shows
- Woody Allen backlash grows as daughter says telling 'truth'
- Welcoming ASEAN's new secretary-general
- New Air Force chief to prioritize procurement of jet fighters
- Lazada to implement e-payment gateway system this year
- Jokowi inaugurates new Cabinet ministers
- PGN to acquire Pertagas in cash scheme
- Celine Dion's Jakarta concert ticket price reaches Rp 25m