Mahfud replaced as presidential race takes surprise turn
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Former Constitutional Court justice Mahfud MD was promptly replaced as head of the Prabowo Subianto-Hatta Rajasa national campaign team following Prabowo's announcement that he would be pulling out of the presidential race on Tuesday.
According to a spokesperson from Prabowo-Hatta's volunteer team, Amazon Dalimunthe, the former House of Representatives lawmaker resigned because he was no longer needed for the campaign.
"As of today, Pak Mahfud is no longer the head of the national campaign team because [the current situation] has crossed into the realm of politics," Amazon told reporters at Polonia House on Tuesday.
Mahfud was present at the campaign team meeting that was held to decide on an official stance toward the election result that the General Elections Commission (KPU) was due to announce. Unlike the rest of the Prabowo-Hatta team, Mahfud was seen wearing a batik shirt as he left the premises and declined to comment.
Although Mahfud reportedly arrived late to the meeting, Amazon said Hatta Rajasa was still en route to the campaign base camp.
Amazon said that Mahfud's position would be filled by Lt. Gen. (ret) Yunus Yosfiah, while campaign team advisors Djoko Santoso and Gen. (ret) George Toisutta would be appointed as deputies to Yunus.
According to Amazon, the campaign team is also being renamed the "red-white team of struggle for justice and truth" to symbolize the fight against election fraud.
The decision to resign from the campaign team by Mahfud came amid Prabowo's recent withdrawal from the presidential election.(tjs)
You might also like :
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- For the sake of integrity
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- IMF chief postpones Middle East trip with Saudi stop
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case
- Fan Bingbing spotted for first time in months, outside Beijing airport