Threat leads Jakarta military commander to close in on Jokowi
Hans Nicholas Jong
The Jakarta Post
After reports that the City Hall received a bomb threat, Jakarta Military Commander Maj. Gen. TNI Mulyono decided late on Tuesday to get directly involved in the security of president-elect and Jakarta Governor Joko "Jokowi" Widodo.
Mulyono came to the General Elections Commission (KPU) headquarters in Central Jakarta on Tuesday evening to boost security around the building where Jokowi and running mate Jusuf Kalla were present to hear the KPU's confirmation of their victory.
"We haven't received any serious threats to the safety of the president-elect. But as of this time we will boost the security around Pak Jokowi to prevent any untoward incident. I will be right next to him," said Mulyono at the KPU headquarters.
Acting Jakarta governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama said earlier in the afternoon that City Hall had received a bomb threat intended for Jokowi.
Several of Mulyono's village supervisory non-commissioned officers (Babinsa) were punished last month after they went door-to-door and directed several people in Central Jakarta to vote for rival candidate Prabowo Subianto. (ren)
You might also like :
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Number of missing in California fire soars past 1,000 as Trump set to visit
- CIA concludes Saudi Crown Prince behind Khashoggi murder: report
- Minister Wiranto's grandson drowns in garden pond
- After Gabo book purge, Kuwait bans Dostoyevsky