Ahsan/Hendra wins hard-fought HK Open
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Indonesian doubles pair Mohammad Ahsan/Hendra Setiawan had to battle in three games to win the Hong Kong Open Super Series badminton championship on Sunday.
The Asian Games gold medalists, the only Indonesians left in the tournament, eked out a 21-16, 17-21, 21-15 win over Liu Xiaolong/Qiu Zihan of China in the final.
The Chinese team still ended the tournament on a high after taking two of five titles on offer.
Tian Qing/Zhao Yunlei overcame Mitsaki Matsumoto/Ayaka Takahashi of Japan 21-13, 21-13 in the women's doubles while Zhang Nan/Zhao Yunlei edged out teammates Xu Chen/Ma Jin in the mixed doubles showdown between the world's top pairs.
Chinese Taipei and South Korea brought home the other two titles through women's singles ' Tai Tzu Ying ' and men's singles ' Son Wan-ho.
Tai beat Japan's Nozomi Okuhara 21-19, 21-11 while Wan-ho upset top seed Chen Long of China 21-19, 21-16.
The HK victory constitutes redemption for Ahsan/Hendra after their poor showing at the Denmark Open last month, when they fell in the quarterfinals. (***)
You might also like :
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Cutting out rice not enough: More lifestyle changes needed to prevent diabetes