Jokowi lauds jamu
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Herbal medicines, locally known as 'jamu', have good prospects both in the domestic and international markets, says President Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of Jamu and Traditional Medicines Manufacturers' Association (GP Jamu) congress at the State Palace on Monday, the President said he had consumed the herbal medicine, locally known as temulawak jahe or ginger curcuma, for 17 years.
'I have consumed ginger curcuma every morning for more than 17 years. I buy it myself from the market,' he said as quoted by kompas.com.
Jokowi admitted that consuming ginger curcuma enabled him to go about his daily activities well and repaired damage to the liver and digestive functions.
'Ginger curcuma is very good and after consuming it we feel better,' he said as quoted by kompas.com.
The President said jamu was a commodity inherited by Indonesians' forefathers and had economic potential when it was produced professionally for domestic and international markets.
As a health beverage, jamu has faced difficulties gaining international recognition as it has not been produced professionally. (rms)(+++)
You might also like :
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Number of missing in California fire soars past 1,000 as Trump set to visit
- After Gabo book purge, Kuwait bans Dostoyevsky
- From Chanel to Gucci: Korean women turn into designer rent-a-holics
- CIA concludes Saudi Crown Prince behind Khashoggi murder: report