US Embassy celebrates 4th of July earlier out of respect for Ramadhan
The Jakarta Post
The United States Embassy enjoyed its annual 4th of July celebration on Thursday, June 4, one month early, in order to respect the upcoming Ramadhan month, which will begin on June 17 and last for one month.
US Ambassador to Indonesia Robert O. Blake and US Ambassador to ASEAN Nina Hachigian presided over the festivities, which involved brass band renditions of the Star-Spangled Banner and the Indonesian national anthem, Indonesia Raya.
Blake explained that the theme of the event leaned toward 'green' development, which supported the US' focus on building and promoting a green economy and more environmentally sustainable development.
He also praised Indonesia's performance as a fully functioning democracy, aiming for further collaboration between the two countries in the years to come.
'The US will continue to support Indonesia in the future through its democratic achievements. Democracy is an American value which we have championed since [the country's birth in] 1776,' Blake told the crowd during the festivities at his residence near Taman Suropati, Central Jakarta, on Thursday.
He added that moving the 4th of July celebrations to June 4 was one done out of respect for the upcoming Ramadhan month, which will last from June 17 to July 17.
The event also showcased a number of American products and businesses, including the Zero FX Electric Motorcycles, which Blake explained were an environmentally friendly vehicle used by the California Highway Patrol.
Several high-level Indonesian officials attended the festivities, including Jakarta Governor Basuki 'Ahok' Tjahaja Purnama, Transportation Minister Ignasius Jonan, Coordinating Economic Minister Sofyan Djalil, Deputy Foreign Minister AM Fachir and Industry Minister Saleh Husin. Other figures such as Golkar Party chairman Aburizal Bakrie were also in attendance.
The United States declared their independence from Great Britain on July 4, 1776.
'The United States will continue to support Indonesia in the future through its democratic achievements.'
You might also like :
- Official turns mute about flourishing prostitution in his area
- Nearly 50,000 flee amid fears of Mt. Agung eruption
- Jokowi to visit Mt. Agung evacuees
- High alert: Mt. Agung eruption imminent
- Yogyakarta Indonesian Association Amusement Parks and Recreation meets with GenPI Yogyakarta
- Nine airports prepared in anticipation of Mt. Agung eruption
- Addressing challenges of VAT collection in digital economy
- Mt. Agung's magma moves upward
- Mt. Agung eruption could be imminent: Agency
- 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle': Star-studded cast, bigger action