70% of world population to be in cities by 2050: UN study
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Urbanization has become an increasingly critical issue as 50 percent of the world population lives in urban areas and is predicted to continue growing to 70 percent by 2050, a UN study shows.
In Asia, the UN reported that 48 percent of the population is living in urban areas. However, the study shows that the figure will increase to 64 percent in 2050. Asia and Africa are predicted to record the highest growth in urban populations in the world.
"As the contributor to regional economic growth, urbanization is a social agenda that has to be managed correctly. Responding the urbanization problem, the government has set the urban agenda as the main national agenda," Public Work and Housing Minister Basuki Hadilmuljono said in a press statement on Sunday.
Related to that, he continued, Indonesia was entrusted with hosting the Asia Pacific Urban Forum (APUF) 2015, cooperating with the UN Habitat, attended by 300 youths from 34 Asia Pacific countries.
Basuki said that there were six main agendas to be discussed, such as social and justice cohesion, the city planologie, ecology and environment, urban settlement and basic services.
"The youth has a strategic role to play in building the future of the cities and creating inclusive and sustainable cities," Basuki explained.
APUF-Youth is the first group of several youth organizations to discuss the urban agenda at the regional level. APUF-Y offered steps to strengthen constructive cooperation with the youth as stakeholders in urban issues. (ags)
You might also like :
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Muslim inmates fed pork during Ramadhan: Activists
- Another phreatic eruption reported at Mt. Merapi
- Global warming may have 'devastating' effects on rice: Study
- Minibus driver used Facebook before deadly crash: reports
- Government is representation of God on earth: State Palace official
- BTS’ new album shows what truly matters
- Costly holiday
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China
- China fines Muji for packaging that lists Taiwan as a country