Workers flood Jakarta to protest layoffs
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Thousands of Indonesian labor union members flooded into Jakarta for a massive rally on Saturday, urging the government to stop layoffs at multinational corporations.
Simultaneous rallies were held in Jakarta, Bogor, Batam, Bekasi, Depok, Medan, Surabaya, Semarang and Tangerang. In total, 30,000 workers joined in the action, said Said Iqbal, the chairman of the Confederation of Indonesian Workers Union (KSPI).
"Today, 30,000 workers demanded two things: stop the layoff of Indonesian laborers and revoke the 2015 government regulation that has led to low wages," he said at the rally as quoted by Antara news agency on Saturday.
The rally started from the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle and continued up to the State Palace before finally gathering in Kelapa Gading, a commercial district in North Jakarta, to celebrate the 17th anniversary of the Indonesian Metal Labor Union Federation (FSPMI).
As previously reported, some Japanese and South Korean factories have announced plans to cut jobs in Indonesia. The KSPI has claimed that thousands of workers will lose their jobs if the plans were to be implemented.
Calling the claims exaggerated, Vice President Jusuf Kalla pledged to boost economic growth to minimize layoffs in 2016. "We will try to keep the economy running to reduce the magnitude of layoffs,' he said as quoted by Antara. (ags)
You might also like :
- TV program under fire for showing protected giant clam being cooked
- Group touts Susi Pudjiastuti as Jokowi’s running mate
- Kate, wife of UK's Prince William, taken to hospital to give birth to third child
- New rule no 'carte blanche' for foreign workers: Minister
- Indonesian-made messaging app Callind launches in Jakarta
- EDITORIAL: When interests collide
- Driver named suspect after death of toddler in East Jakarta
- Landslide damages house in Depok
- No ticketing on first day of Sudirman-Thamrin odd-even trial run
- Kremlin, on possible missile delivery to Syria, says Western strike soured atmosphere