Indonesia to develop defense systems
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia is set to modernize its primary defense systems (alutsista) in order to strengthen the country's defense capabilities.
In a limited meeting held at the Presidential Office in Jakarta on Monday, President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo said Indonesia's current defense budget amounted to 1.1 percent of the country's gross domestic product (GDP), slightly up from previous allocations of 0.89 percent of GDP in 2015 and 0.79 percent in 2014.
Jokowi added that with targeted economic growth of 6 percent, Indonesia's defense budgetary allocation would increase to 1.5 percent of GDP, worth around Rp 250 trillion (US$18.66 billion).
"It's a very large amount. This should be anticipated from now on. There should be proper and detailed planning so the budget allocation will be well-targeted and well-planned from the very beginning," Jokowi said.
With such defense system development, he hoped the Indonesian Military would be ready to anticipate threats in the future as geographically, two-thirds of the country's territorial area was sea. Such a geographical situation would affect the constellation of warfare in the future, the President said.
"I'm really aware that to build a professional and respected Indonesian Military, we should be able to meet our defense equipment requirements" he added.
Cabinet Secretary Pramono Anung said the country's defenses needed to be developed to protect the archipelago.
"The President wants to know the strength of military capacity needed to secure and maintain the vast territory of this country. Moreover, we know Indonesia is an archipelagic country; so, early readiness of our defenses is very important," he told reporters. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Saudi Arabia's jailed trailblazers
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Suspected terrorist shot dead in Pamanukan for resisting arrest
- US Navy planning new camps to support immigration crackdown: Report
- Mexico caught up in victorious jumble of joy
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- At midnight, Riyadh erupts in cheers for a woman in a car
- Cuba to get ready for same sex marriage: Castro daughter