13 reportedly killed in helicopter crash in Poso
The Jakarta Post
An Indonesian Army helicopter crashed in Poso regency, Central Sulawesi, at 6:20 p.m. local time on Sunday. Thirteen passengers and crew members reportedly lost their lives in the incident, which occurred in the village of Pattiro Bajo, Poso Pesisir Selatan district.
Military personnel killed in the incident include Central Sulawesi Tadulako 132 Military Resort Command (Korem) chief Col. Saiful Anwar, Palu Military Police Command (POM) commander Lt. Col. Teddy S. Prapat, National Intelligence Agency (BIN) officer Col. Ontang, Military Intelligence Division (BAIS) officer Col. Heri Setiaji, Korem 132 information chief Maj. Faqih Rasyid and Capt. Yanto, chief of the health division at the 1307 Poso Military District Command (Kodim).
Other victims are Second Pvt. Kiki, the assistant of the Korem 132 commander, and six Army aviators, namely Capt. Agung, First Lieut. Wirahadi, Second Lieut. Tito, First Sgt. Bagus, Second Sgt. Karmin and First Pvt. Bangkit.
Poso Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Ronny Suseno confirmed the incident. Speaking to thejakartapost.com, Ronny said the Bell 412 EP helicopter had flown from Watutau village in Lore Piore district, Poso regency, to Kasiguncu Airport in Poso, where a joint police-military team was pursuing members of the East Indonesia Mujahiddin (MIT) terrorist group led by Indonesia's most wanted fugitive Santoso aka Abu Wardah.
'The location of the helicopter crash is only around 1 to 1.5 kilometers from Kasiguncu Airport, Poso,' said Ronny.
He added that weather conditions in Poso had been bad and suspected the helicopter had been struck by lightning.
Indonesian Military and National Police personnel were deployed to the crash site and 13 ambulances readied to bring the bodies of the victims to the Bhayangkara Police hospital in Palu, Central Sulawesi. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Tight security prepared for King Salman’s visit to Bali
- Whale shark dead after being caught up in trawl
- Four must-watch films about North Korea
- Lawmakers to learn about counterterrorism legislation in UK, US
- Jokowi, Turnbull start day with relaxed morning walk around Royal Botanical Gardens
- Six killed in Central Java bus plunge
- House prepares for King Salman's visit
- Indonesia, Australia want peaceful resolution in settling regional disputes
- Divers collect waste in waters around Pramuka Island
- Kim Jong Nam died within 20 minutes of poisoning: Malaysia