Jokowi summons BPK chairman over Panama Papers
The Jakarta Post
The Supreme Audit Agency (BPK) chairman Harry Azhar Aziz has acknowledged that his name is listed among 800 Indonesian names in the Panama Papers, during a meeting with President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo on Thursday.
In the leaked documents held by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ), Harry is recorded as the owner of Sheng Yue International Limited, a company established in British Virgin Islands, which is a country known for being a tax haven.
"I have already reported to the President and the director-general of Taxation," Harry said at the State Palace, in Jakarta on Thursday, adding that Jokowi responded that it is okay as long as it causes no losses to the state.
He also said that he would include the company in his official wealth report (LHKPN) to the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK).
Harry signed up as the sole director of Sheng Yue in early 2010 with the help of Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca. At that time, Harry was the chairman of House of Representative's budgetary board.
Despite him being a member of the House and now as the chairman of the BPK, he did not include the shell company in his asset report in his wealth report. "I will report it," he asserted.
Cabinet Secretary Pramono said the President has listened to Harry's explanation. "The BPK chairman has formally conveyed to the President, but the material cannot be revealed to the public," he said. (ags)
You might also like :
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says