Odd-even license plate system to come into effect in July
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration will start implementing an odd-even license plate policy in July as a temporary solution to ease traffic congestion in the capital.
“The trial will be held on July 20 to Aug. 20, while the official implementation is going to be on Aug. 23. Then, this policy will only last until electronic road pricing [ERP] is introduced by the end of 2017,” Jakarta Transportation Agency head Andri Yansyah said in Jakarta on Friday.
Andri said that all cars and motorbikes with odd number license plates would be prohibited from using certain thoroughfares on odd dates and vice versa. However, the policy would not be applicable for yellow-plated transportation vehicles, ambulances, fire trucks and VVIP vehicles.
Andri also said the policy would be implemented in areas where the three-in-one system had been enforced, namely on Jl. Thamrin, Jl. Sudirman and Jl. Gatot Subroto. In addition, Jl. Rasuna Said would also be included as a “warm-up” before the ERP, he said.
Data from the Jakarta Police’s traffic accident subdirectorate shows that there are almost 17 million vehicles across Greater Jakarta -- 50.05 percent of them have odd-number license plates and 49.95 percent have even-numbered plates.
“I hope, with this policy, there will be no joki [passengers-for-hire], or cases of child abuse and sexual harassment,” said Comr. Miyanto, the public service section head of the subdirectorate. (vps/dmr)
You might also like :
- Drone captures widened crater fracture on Mt Agung
- Another coin-tossing elderly Chinese causes flight chaos
- Want to have fantastic eye health? These tips can help
- Soekarno-Hatta to open ride-hailing transport booths
- Minister Susi to display 10 arrested foreign-flagged fishing vessels
- Freeport vehicles shot at by unidentified assailants
- Jakarta Fashion Week 2018 celebrates diversity in 10th anniversary
- Jokowi inaugurates Mandalika economic zone
- Sidewalk development in North Jakarta has reached 45% completion
- S.Tangerang Police arrest man claiming to be FBR member for alleged extortion, violence