Government shuts down 11 Islamic websites ahead of mass rally
The Jakarta Post
The Communication and Information Ministry has blocked 11 Islamic websites deemed to have spread ethic, religious, racial and social group (SARA) sentiments in the eve of a massive rally against Jakarta Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama.
Ministry spokesperson Noor Iza said the decision was made based on input from several institutions, including the National Police and the Counterterrorism Agency (BNPT) as well as from the general public.
He added that the websites' closure would be made permanent should the owners fail to revise the content. "The action is important ahead of the upcoming simultaneous regional elections," he said.
Among the websites include Lemahirengmedia.com, portalpiyungan.com, suara-islam.com and smstauhiid.com
Meanwhile, Indonesian Journalist Association (AJI) questioned the methods of assessment before shutting the websites.
“The government needs to seek a court decision before closing down websites. It's important to ensure the government uses its authority objectively," AJI chaiman Suwarjono said. (fac/bbn)
You might also like :
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Bank Indonesia hikes rate to 6 percent
- Next US House foreign affairs chief vows to check Trump, warns Russia
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Lion Air passengers change planes because of broken AC