Government shuts down 11 Islamic websites ahead of mass rally
The Jakarta Post
The Communication and Information Ministry has blocked 11 Islamic websites deemed to have spread ethic, religious, racial and social group (SARA) sentiments in the eve of a massive rally against Jakarta Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama.
Ministry spokesperson Noor Iza said the decision was made based on input from several institutions, including the National Police and the Counterterrorism Agency (BNPT) as well as from the general public.
He added that the websites' closure would be made permanent should the owners fail to revise the content. "The action is important ahead of the upcoming simultaneous regional elections," he said.
Among the websites include Lemahirengmedia.com, portalpiyungan.com, suara-islam.com and smstauhiid.com
Meanwhile, Indonesian Journalist Association (AJI) questioned the methods of assessment before shutting the websites.
“The government needs to seek a court decision before closing down websites. It's important to ensure the government uses its authority objectively," AJI chaiman Suwarjono said. (fac/bbn)
You might also like :
- Experts warn government against complacency in tackling forest fires
- Jakarta-Cikarang commuter line to begin operation in October
- Jakarta collects Rp 120 million in fines from illegal tree-cutting
- BI criticized for burdening consumers with e-money top-up costs
- Indonesia to organize upcoming Europalia cultural festival
- Government advised to increase ceiling on import taxes
- Elisabeth Moss, a Scientologist, wins Emmy for depicting cult
- Minister Susi to sink 100 more fishing boats this year
- Matahari closes two outlets in Jakarta
- Government preparing regulation for 'core tax system'