Government shuts down 11 Islamic websites ahead of mass rally
The Jakarta Post
The Communication and Information Ministry has blocked 11 Islamic websites deemed to have spread ethic, religious, racial and social group (SARA) sentiments in the eve of a massive rally against Jakarta Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama.
Ministry spokesperson Noor Iza said the decision was made based on input from several institutions, including the National Police and the Counterterrorism Agency (BNPT) as well as from the general public.
He added that the websites' closure would be made permanent should the owners fail to revise the content. "The action is important ahead of the upcoming simultaneous regional elections," he said.
Among the websites include Lemahirengmedia.com, portalpiyungan.com, suara-islam.com and smstauhiid.com
Meanwhile, Indonesian Journalist Association (AJI) questioned the methods of assessment before shutting the websites.
“The government needs to seek a court decision before closing down websites. It's important to ensure the government uses its authority objectively," AJI chaiman Suwarjono said. (fac/bbn)
You might also like :
- Metro TV fires reporter connected to Setya
- Japan proposes to build new tracks for Jakarta-Surabaya railway: Minister
- Tourism Ministry to focus on developing four New Balis next year
- End nears for Mugabe as ruling party turns against him
- Online exhibit shows hidden depths of Picasso's 'Guernica'
- Macron's popularity recovers as French see him keeping promises
- UK aims for driverless cars by 2021
- Boxer knocks out rival in 11 seconds
- Public Works and Public Housing Ministry to develop four Priority Destinations
- Commentary: Stop making jokes about Setya. It's not funny anymore.