Government shuts down 11 Islamic websites ahead of mass rally
The Jakarta Post
The Communication and Information Ministry has blocked 11 Islamic websites deemed to have spread ethic, religious, racial and social group (SARA) sentiments in the eve of a massive rally against Jakarta Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama.
Ministry spokesperson Noor Iza said the decision was made based on input from several institutions, including the National Police and the Counterterrorism Agency (BNPT) as well as from the general public.
He added that the websites' closure would be made permanent should the owners fail to revise the content. "The action is important ahead of the upcoming simultaneous regional elections," he said.
Among the websites include Lemahirengmedia.com, portalpiyungan.com, suara-islam.com and smstauhiid.com
Meanwhile, Indonesian Journalist Association (AJI) questioned the methods of assessment before shutting the websites.
“The government needs to seek a court decision before closing down websites. It's important to ensure the government uses its authority objectively," AJI chaiman Suwarjono said. (fac/bbn)
You might also like :
- Convicted drug smuggler Corby returns to Australia from Bali
- Police arrest another man with suspected links to E. Jakarta bombings
- Man nabbed for spreading fake chat impersonating top cops
- New rule could give banks more headaches
- Girl locked up for days by new Facebook friend in West Jakarta
- Three dead as truck rams into motorcyclists in Medan
- Extraordinary measures needed to root out terrorists: BIN chief
- To control population, Yogyakarta offers Rp 1 million for men to undergo vasectomies
- Investigation of helicopter procurement graft might target higher officials
- Jakarta train stations to provide passengers with 'takjil'