Airport railway line may also be connected to Kota Station
The Jakarta Post
In addition to the original plan to connect Soekarno-Hatta International to Manggarai Station in South Jakarta, the airport trains, which are now under construction, may also run from the airport to Kota Station in West Jakarta.
State railway operator PT Kereta Api Indonesia (KAI) is currently studying the plan, and if it is feasible, both the Manggarai line and the Kota line would have service to and from the airport, scheduled to begin operation in the first half of next year, KAI president director Edi Sukmoro said on Monday.
“We want to share the passenger load of Manggarai Station with Jakarta Kota Station, as Manggarai Station is already heavily used,” Edi said during his visit to check the progress of the airport railway project.
“In addition, Jakarta Kota Station is visited by many commuter train routes. We hope people will use the train to go to the airport to reduce traffic congestion,” Edi added.
KAI is now finalizing the procurement of land to be used for the railway. It needs about 35 hectares of land in total for the project, 78 percent of which has been acquired and purchased. Approximately Rp 1.5 trillion (US$114 million) has been set aside for overall land procurement.
The railway operator is now developing a 12 kilometer railway from Batu Ceper Station in Tangerang to a newly built station at the airport, more than three kilometers of which has been finished. (vny/bbn)
You might also like :
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape