Ahok’s Muslim ‘brother’ to testify in court: Lawyer
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
Several experts and witnesses had been prepared to defend Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama in his looming trial for alleged blasphemy, his lawyer said on Tuesday.
Ahok’s lawyer Josefina Syukur said her team would present Andi Analta Amir, who was believed to be Ahok’s Muslim "brother", to testify in court on his relations with the incumbent governor, where the first hearing was set to start next week.
Earlier, Analta told reporters that his late father had considered Ahok as his godson and helped Ahok, a Christian of Chinese descent, develop his mining business in East Belitung before Ahok was elected as regent of the area.
“[Since] he has a Muslim godfather, it’s almost impossible Ahok would insult Islam,” Analta previously said.
Besides presenting Analta, Josefina said the team also had proposed five witnesses, namely Juhri, Ferry Lukmantara, Suyanto, and Fajrun, Eko Cahyono from East Belitung.
The witnesses would testify on how Ahok had dealt with Verse 51 of Surah Al Maidah in Quran when running as a East Belitung regental candidate, she added.
Police named Ahok a suspect of alleged blasphemy in relation to a statement he made about the verse during a working visit to Thousand Islands regency in late September after hundreds of thousands of conservative Muslims staged a rally on Nov. 4 demanding the government to prosecute Ahok.
Ahok has repeatedly apologized, saying that he never intended to insult Muslims and the Quran. (jun)
You might also like :
- Metro TV fires reporter connected to Setya
- Japan proposes to build new tracks for Jakarta-Surabaya railway: Minister
- Tourism Ministry to focus on developing four New Balis next year
- Online exhibit shows hidden depths of Picasso's 'Guernica'
- Macron's popularity recovers as French see him keeping promises
- End nears for Mugabe as ruling party turns against him
- UK aims for driverless cars by 2021
- Boxer knocks out rival in 11 seconds
- Victoria's Secret to charm China with fashion gala
- Public Works and Public Housing Ministry to develop four Priority Destinations