Bali Police on alert after small bomb found in Ubud
The Jakarta Post
Bali Police personnel on Tuesday managed to safely detonate a low-explosive device found earlier in the day inside a bag in the popular tourist district of Ubud in Gianyar regency.
Gianyar Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Waluya said the bag had been found on Tuesday morning in front of a food stall on Jl. Raya Banjar Lungsiakan in Kedewatan subdistrict.
The food stall’s owner, identified as I Ketut Suela, found the bag with an attached note bearing the word “Bomb” when he was about to open his stall. Suela immediately asked people near his stall to move away as he reported the finding to village supervisory non-commissioned officers (Babinsa), who later called the local police.
A low-explosive device found by a villager in Ubud, Gianyar, Bali is shown after being safely detonated by the Bali Police bomb squad on Tuesday. (Courtesy of Bali Police /File)
Waluya said the bomb, which contained gun powder, was a low-explosive device. The police, he said were still continuing their investigation to find out who placed the bomb at the location.
“We can't really tell what the actual explosive power [of the bomb] could have been,” he said, as quoted by tribunnews.com.
In 2002, a group of people linked to extremist group Jemaah Islamiyah launched bombing attacks in Bali that killed 202 people. Three years later, a series of suicide bombings on the resort island by terrorists claimed the lives of 20 people and injured more than 100 others. (hwa)
You might also like :
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Instant Noodle Longform