Grand launch of Kertajati Airport set for mid next year
The Jakarta Post
The government expects the grand launch of the new Kertajati international airport in Majalengka, West Java, to occur in June next year.
Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi said Friday that after checking the progress of construction, he anticipated Kertajati Airport’s grand launch, which would mark the kicking off of commercial operations, would be in February or March next year, later than expected.
So far, construction progress on the airport, which is expected to handle 8.6 million passengers each year, has reached 32 percent.
(Read also: Ministry appointed to develop Kertajati)
Budi said the runway needed to be extended to 3,000 meters, from the 2,500 meters at present. "At that time, the airport should be able to welcome a Boeing 737," he said.
Kertajadi Airport, worth Rp 10 trillion (US$750.18 million), is being built to ease aircraft and passenger congestion at the country’s main gate, Soekarno Hatta International Airport in Cengkareng, Tangerang, Banten, and also replace the Husein Sastranegara International Airport in Bandung, West Java, as the commercial airport of the region.
Budi, however, said that despite the delayed launch, a soft launch could still be carried out in January or February next year, which would be followed by a trial operation. (lnd)
You might also like :
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Lion Air: a deadly crash and a whole lot of questions for Boeing
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai
- Indonesia records US$1.82 billion trade deficit in October