Golkar may reprimand Soeharto’s daughter for supporting Anies
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
The Golkar Party may reprimand Siti Hediati Heriyadi, also known as Titiek Soeharto, for breaking the party’s line for allegedly supporting a rival candidate in the Jakarta gubernatorial race.
Titiek, one of the daughters of former party patron Soeharto, a central figure in the party when he ruled the country for more than three decades, has reportedly expressed her support for Anies Baswedan and his running mate, Sandiaga Uno, in the Jakarta election.
Golkar, meanwhile, has officially endorsed Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama and his running mate, Djarot Saeful Hidayat. Ahok and Anies will face off in a runoff on April 19.
Golkar said it would first seek clarification from Titiek, who is also the former wife of Gerindra Party chairman Prabowo Subianto, who nominated Anies and Sandiaga.
“Any kind of insubordination by party cadres deserves punishment," Agung Laksono, chairman of Golkar’s board of experts, said when asked about Titiek’s political stance in Jakarta. “We not only need to politically educate the public, but also our party members,” he added.
Anies previously confirmed that Titiek had supported his gubernatorial bid and uploaded a photo of them together raising their three fingers to represent Anies’ ballot number.
Golkar chairman Setya Novanto would soon decide her fate, Agung said. (ary)
You might also like :
- Bali welcomes Barack Obama and family
- It’s official, Idul Fitri is tomorrow
- No merry Idul Fitri celebration for Ahmadiyah followers in Depok
- Minister, MUI call for peaceful Idul Fitri sermons
- Malaysian PM to vacation in Bali after Obama
- Food prices spike in Jakarta a day before Idul Fitri
- Jokowi to stay in Jakarta for Idul Fitri
- Ahmadiyah mosque in Depok vandalized ahead of Idul Fitri
- JICA calls for stronger unity in ASEAN to exert bigger power
- Surakarta terminal sees decline in bus passengers