US Embassy to celebrate independence day in Lombok
The Jakarta Post
The United States Embassy in Jakarta has announced that it will hold a dinner reception to celebrate its independence day at the Sheraton Senggigi Hotel in Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara, on Wednesday evening.
The dinner will be attended by US foreign service officials in Indonesia and several figures from the West Nusa Tenggara administration.
(Read also: Royal Brunei Airlines to open up new route to Lombok)
“We have chosen Lombok because there are beauties, hospitalities and amenities in Lombok,” US Ambassador to Indonesia Joseph Donovan Jr. said in Lombok on Tuesday.
West Nusa Tenggara Governor Muhammad Zainul Majdi said the harmonious way of life among the heterogenous society in West Nusa Tenggara was another reason why Lombok was chosen as the location of the US independence day celebration.
The ambassador visited several locations in Lombok, such as the West Nusa Tenggara Islamic Center in Mataram, Kuta Mandalika in Central Lombok, Senggigi in West Lombok and Gili Trawangan in North Lombok.
A coral reef in Lombok.(Shutterstock/File)
Political and Economic attache of the US Consulate General, Jett Thomason, said the visit of the US ambassador to Lombok was part of a series of visits to a number of locations in Indonesia aimed at learning more about the country.
“The US is also a big country like Indonesia, where there are a lot of ethnic [groups] and religions, but still can live harmoniously with each other under one country,” he said. (mrc/bbs)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- Police probe new drug rape claims against US doctor, girlfriend
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas