Rizieq Shihab named suspect in pornography case while abroad
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Police named Islam Defenders Front (FPI) leader and firebrand cleric Rizieq Shihab a suspect in a pornography case on Monday.
Rizieq was named a suspect without having undergone police questioning under his previous capacity as a witness as he had failed to answer police summons twice in April and May.
“At 12 a.m. today [Monday], investigators of Jakarta Police’s special crimes unit increased Rizieq’s status from witness to suspect,” said Jakarta Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono.
Argo said investigators had gathered adequate evidence to name Rizieq a suspect. “He will be charged under articles 4, 6 and 8 of the 2008 Pornography Law,” he said.
Meanwhile, Rizieq’s lawyer, Sugito Atmo Pawiro said he had received the update on his client from the police.
“It is true. We will fight back against the police,” Sugito, who was in Saudi Arabia along with Rizieq, said in reply to a text message from The Jakarta Post.
(Read also: Rizieq is in Jeddah: Police)
Sugito lamented that the police did not make an effort to pursue the uploader of the steamy chats that allegedly took place between Rizieq and Firza Husein, who was named a suspect in the same case on May 16, which led to the pornography charges against Rizieq and Firza.
“The investigators are being unfair and forcing their will [upon Rizieq]. Habib [Rizieq] has not even been questioned yet. They have gone too far,” he said.
Sugito did not give information regarding whether Rizieq, who is currently in Saudi Arabia, will return to Indonesia soon. (dea/dan)
- Beware the dangers of pre-cooked meals
- Four cities in Indonesia where you can travel by foot
- Korean comedy-drama sparks uproar for 'disrespecting Islam'
- Another cargo plane skids off runway in Papua
- WhatsApp adds Picture-in-Picture feature on Android 8.0
- Six ITB students injured by crumbling pillar
- Foreign tourists flocked to Penyengat Island Festival 2017
- Wonderful Indonesia Festival 2017 to grace Manila
- Jember crowned Indonesia's Carnival City
- Danilo completes Man City move