Police readies special team to escort bank customers
The Jakarta Post
The South Jakarta Police force is set to detail its special Eagle One Team, a quick-response team that is responsible for combating street crime, to escort bank customers after they do transactions during Ramadhan.
The service was offered following an armed robbery that ended in the shooting death of Davidson Tantono, 30, who had just withdrawn a large sum of money from a bank in Daan Mogot, West Jakarta, last week.
"The team was formed to provide a feeling of security to all residents who need assistance, in this case while they withdraw money from banks," the National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Rikwanto said on Thursday as quoted by tribunnews.com.
The team would be equipped with long-barreled firearms and bulletproof vests when doing patrols.
The Jakarta Police had arrested two men in Bogor, West Java, and another two in Lampung who were allegedly members of a gang that attacked Davidson.
The police accused the group of specializing in targeting bank customers. The men had reportedly distributed among themselves the Rp 350 million (US$26,309) stolen from Davidson. One of them had reportedly admitted to having received Rp 14 million.
The alleged gang, which is estimated to have more than five members, has been accused of committing similar crimes more than 10 times in Jakarta and other regions, according to the police. (cal)
- North Jakarta court jails men for two years over 'gay sex party'
- Bali remains most popular destination for Middle Eastern tourists
- SHINee’s Jonghyun dies in hospital
- Mount Agung not a threat, let’s go to Bali: Minister
- Taeyang, Min Hyo-rin to tie the knot in early 2018
- Golkar kicks off national meeting to inaugurate Airlangga
- Bali prepares complimentary transportation, rooms if Mt. Agung erupts
- Jakarta nightclubs targeted following drug raids
- Milk, mackerel to be part of Jakarta food subsidy program
- Jakarta to procure more emissions test equipment