SBY welcomes Prabowo to meeting with 'nasi goreng'
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
Gerindra Party chairman and former presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto arrived at the private residence of former president and Democratic Party chairman Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono in Cikeas, West Java, at 8.30 p.m. on Thursday.
The patrons of the two largest opposition parties were scheduled to have closed-door talks about the newly passed election bill, during the deliberation of which both parties opposed the government's decision to retain the 25 percent presidential threshold.
"I come here for a silaturahim [a strengthening of friendly ties]," Prabowo told reporters upon arrival.
Yudhoyono was ready to serve his guest nasi goreng (fried rice) cooked by a street food seller the former president had summoned to the house.
Read also: SBY, Prabowo meet to discuss election
Many believe the meeting was also aimed at pondering a possible alliance between the two parties ahead of the 2019 presidential election.
“[A coalition] could be established. It could happen as we have similarities of vision,” Dems deputy chairman Syarief Hasan said. (bbs)
- Christie's to auction rare watch once owned by Egyptian king
- Canned sardines contaminated with thread worms, BPOM confirms
- PDI-P strengthens ties with Golkar
- Tax office eyes 14m taxpayers' annual reports this year
- Jakarta to see medium rain but remain hot during equinox
- Freeport has cost $13 billion losses in environmental damage, says BPK
- Marine personnel rebuild roads, houses ahead of naval exercises
- Brunei, Indonesia work on new hybrid paddy varieties
- Piles of trash continue to flow onto Tangerang shore
- E-cigarettes more likely to get people started on smoking: Study