Indonesia, Google to use Trusted Flagger program to filter out internet content
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia and Google have agreed to implement the Trusted Flagger program, which reviews flagged content and removes content deemed inappropriate for the internet on websites such as YouTube.
Trusted Flagger is a program in which volunteers, who have been accepted through an application process, are given the authority to flag content that violates the terms of service or community guidelines of Google's websites. Google then reviews the flagged content and determines whether to remove it.
Communications and Information Minister Rudiantara said that, currently, the program was being tested and that he expected it to be launched within the next two to three months.Read also: Facebook forms team to tackle hoaxes in Indonesia
He said the government would involve several non-governmental organizations such as Wahid Institute, ICT Watch and Anti-Defamation Society of Indonesia (Mafindo) as content moderators.
"With such a transparent panel system that involves the public, there is no room for someone to abuse their authority," Rudiantara said during a press conference in Jakarta on Friday, adding that the program would increase the response time of removal requests.
"Based on our experience, only 50 percent of the take down requests were responded to quickly. We do not want the rest of the 50 percent to snowball."
Google policy and government affairs director for Greater China and Southeast Asia Ann Lavin said the Trusted Flagger program was implemented in June in the US and some European countries.
"We have seen this program in the US and a number of European countries but this might be the first time [it is implemented] in Southeast Asia," Lavin said. (bbn)
- Drone captures widened crater fracture on Mt Agung
- Another coin-tossing elderly Chinese causes flight chaos
- Want to have fantastic eye health? These tips can help
- Soekarno-Hatta to open ride-hailing transport booths
- Minister Susi to display 10 arrested foreign-flagged fishing vessels
- Freeport vehicles shot at by unidentified assailants
- Jakarta Fashion Week 2018 celebrates diversity in 10th anniversary
- Jokowi inaugurates Mandalika economic zone
- Sidewalk development in North Jakarta has reached 45% completion
- S.Tangerang Police arrest man claiming to be FBR member for alleged extortion, violence