State salt firm to build Rp 1.8t salt factory in NTT
The Jakarta Post
State-owned salt company PT Garam has expressed its agreement to develop a salt factory using technology invented by the Agency for the Assessment and Application of Technology (BPPT) to produce about 500,000 tons of salt per year.
The company needs Rp 1.8 trillion (US$134.89 million) in funds to develop the factory.
“PT Garam has expressed its readiness [to develop the factory]. They say they will seek a bank loan,” said BPPT head Unggul Priyanto in Jakarta on Wednesday, as reported by tempo.co.Read also: 5k hectares of land to be developed into salt fields
Previously, Coordinating Maritime Affairs Minister Luhut Pandjaitan said the government would develop salt fields and factories on 5,000 hectares of idle land in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) to address the scarcity of the commodity.
According to the BPPT, NTT, West Nusa Tenggara and South Sulawesi were ideal places to introduce the technology, because they offered large stretches of land and experienced low rainfall.
Previously, PT Garam president director said his company was managing salt fields on 400 ha of land in Bipolo village, Kupang regency, since 2016. He said his company would be ready to manage another 3,800 ha of land in NTT for salt factories.
Meanwhile, the head of the National Land Agency’s office in NTT, Josias Benyamin Lola, said all of the 22 regencies in the province had great potential to develop salt fields.
Unggul explained that the BPPT would offer its technology, which shakes up seawater to increase salt levels before it flows into reservoirs, where drying facilities are located. (bbn)
- Contract to be extended to 2041 as Freeport agrees to divest 51% shares
- Indonesian N219 aircraft succeeds in first test flight
- Soekarno-Hatta airport’s skytrain begins trial operation
- Put on some weight, says politician to Jokowi in prayer
- Jokowi declares graft war in front House members, Setya
- Studio Ghibli goes into full production for new Hayao Miyazaki film
- Jokowi wears traditional attire during annual state of the nation address
- EDITORIAL: Forever young Indonesia
- Jokowi maintains merciless stance on drug dealers
- Odd-even traffic policy at Cikampek toll road to be implemented in morning