Golkar pledges to bring victory to Jokowi in 2019
The Jakarta Post
The Golkar Party has pledged to support the reelection bid of President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo in the 2019 presidential election and that it would deliver the bulk of votes for the incumbent.
Golkar secretary-general Idrus Marham said on Saturday that the party could bring in roughly 65 percent of the vote for Jokowi.
"I can say that Golkar can deliver 65 percent of the vote for Jokowi regardless of who challenges him in the election," Idrus said as quoted by tempo.co on Saturday.
He said Golkar was currently focusing on garnering more votes for Jokowi and that support for the incumbent was a foregone conclusion.
He said the fact that Golkar chairman Setya Novanto was being investigated by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) for his alleged role in the e-ID card graft case would not change the party's stance on Jokowi.
He said Setya’s case had nothing to do with Jokowi’s reelection bid. "There's no correlation. On one hand we abide by the law, but on the political side, we maintain our support for Jokowi," he said.
The KPK in July named Setya a suspect in the e-ID graft case, which reportedly caused Rp 2.3 trillion in state losses.
- Yogyakarta Indonesian Association Amusement Parks and Recreation meets with GenPI Yogyakarta
- Nine airports prepared in anticipation of Mt. Agung eruption
- ASEAN endorses East Sea code proposal
- Mt. Agung's magma moves upward
- Mt. Agung eruption could be imminent: Agency
- Two Vietnamese fishermen dead in Philippine navy chase
- Jokowi to visit Mt. Agung evacuees
- 39 countries to attend Asia-Europe transportation minister meeting
- Nearly 50,000 flee amid fears of Mt. Agung eruption
- EDITORIAL: Making corrupt leaders pay