Golkar pledges to bring victory to Jokowi in 2019
The Jakarta Post
The Golkar Party has pledged to support the reelection bid of President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo in the 2019 presidential election and that it would deliver the bulk of votes for the incumbent.
Golkar secretary-general Idrus Marham said on Saturday that the party could bring in roughly 65 percent of the vote for Jokowi.
"I can say that Golkar can deliver 65 percent of the vote for Jokowi regardless of who challenges him in the election," Idrus said as quoted by tempo.co on Saturday.
He said Golkar was currently focusing on garnering more votes for Jokowi and that support for the incumbent was a foregone conclusion.
He said the fact that Golkar chairman Setya Novanto was being investigated by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) for his alleged role in the e-ID card graft case would not change the party's stance on Jokowi.
He said Setya’s case had nothing to do with Jokowi’s reelection bid. "There's no correlation. On one hand we abide by the law, but on the political side, we maintain our support for Jokowi," he said.
The KPK in July named Setya a suspect in the e-ID graft case, which reportedly caused Rp 2.3 trillion in state losses.
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- Tourism's fatal warning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia lists 180 missing on doomed ferry, launches underwater search
- 8-meter python slain after swallowing woman in Southeast Sulawesi
- Search on for dozens missing in Indonesia ferry sinking
- Indonesia takes a bite out of food waste one wedding at a time
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Taliban kill 30 soldiers in first major attack since ceasefire, governor says
- Commentary: Another side of the elderly: You reap what you sow