Jakarta administration seeks lifting of reclamation moratorium
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration is looking to restart the controversial reclamation project in Jakarta Bay after the central government issued land certificates for islets C and D.
Jakarta Governor Djarot Saiful Hidayat said on Saturday his administration had sent a letter to Environment and Forestry Minister Siti Nurbaya asking the ministry to lift its moratorium on the reclamation project.
However, Siti said on Sunday that she had not received the letter from the city administration. “The letter has not arrived with us,” said Siti as reported by tempo.co.Read also: Luhut urges Anies to continue reclamation
Djarot questioned the fate of the reclamation project, which had been stopped by a joint team from several ministries, after the team considered various issues, including the questionable environmental impact analysis (Amdal) document for the project.
The governor referred to the islets, developed by PT Kapuk Naga Indah, a subsidiary of a property giant, Agung Sedayu Group. “What is the status now? Will we utilize the islands? Djarot added.
In addition to the certificates issued by the Agrarian and Spatial Planning Ministry for the islands, tempo.co reported that North Jakarta Agrarian Agency head Kasten Situmorang had also issued land certificates for PT Kapuk Naga Indah to allow the company to construct buildings on the islets.
However, there has been no confirmation about the certificates for the developers.
The project became subject to hot debate during the gubernatorial election campaign this year when Jakarta governor-elect Anies Baswedan expressed his opposition to the project. (bbn)
- Cryptocurrency rivals snap at Bitcoin's heels
- BREAKING: Indonesia's Stock Exchange evacuated after floor collapse
- Bank Indonesia, police prevent bitcoin transactions in Bali
- Building management should be held accountable for IDX collapse: Consumers foundation
- More than 70 admitted to hospitals following collapse at IDX building
- Stock Exchange building-worthiness certificate expires this month: Anies
- Celine Dion Jakarta concert ticket prices announced
- Airbus floats shutdown of A380 superjumbo as orders stall
- Anies plans to return 'becak' to Jakarta streets
- Road near IDX closed until Tuesday