Lawmakers, KPK get involved in war of words
Margareth S. Aritonang
The Jakarta Post
A hearing between lawmakers and leaders of the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) on Tuesday became heated after lawmakers claimed that KPK commissioners were responding to the questions put to them in an inappropriate manner.
Members of House of Representatives Commission III overseeing legal affairs began bombarding the antigraft body with fiery criticism after KPK commissioner Saut Situmorang suggested that House Commission III deputy chairman Benny Harman, who was directing the meeting, take notes and write down his comprehension of the KPK’s work.
“You don't understand the explanation because you don’t write it down,” Saut said, responding to Benny, who interrupted Saut while he was attempting to explain the mechanisms used to follow up on reports and tip-offs from the public on alleged graft cases.
Saut’s remarks quickly raised protest from other Commission III members.
Lawmaker Erma Suryani Ranik lambasted Saut for his "disrespectful response".
“You must respect the chairman of the meeting. All of us must do so,” said Erma from the Democratic Party.
Other lawmakers, including Wenny Warouw from the Gerindra Party, expressed a greater degree of anger, and shouted at Saut.
"The chairman of the meeting asked you to give an explanation. You don’t need to be defensive," said Wenny, a former police general who later questioned the mechanisms used by the KPK, which he claimed were not in line with the work of police officers investigating cases. (ipa)
- Minibus driver used Facebook before deadly crash: reports
- 53 injured as Saudi jet makes emergency landing
- Fuel consumption in Papua drops ahead of Idul Fitri
- Unattended suitcase causes security alert in Batam
- Police find 'missing' teen's body at South Jakarta apartment
- Women paid more than men for same job in Indonesia: Global survey
- FamilyMart to allow Airbnb users to pick up keys at its stores
- Commentary: Soeharto's most likely successor? How about Prabowo?
- No more Qlue as Jakarta administration introduces BERiDE
- Another phreatic eruption reported at Mt. Merapi