Lawmakers, KPK get involved in war of words
Margareth S. Aritonang
The Jakarta Post
A hearing between lawmakers and leaders of the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) on Tuesday became heated after lawmakers claimed that KPK commissioners were responding to the questions put to them in an inappropriate manner.
Members of House of Representatives Commission III overseeing legal affairs began bombarding the antigraft body with fiery criticism after KPK commissioner Saut Situmorang suggested that House Commission III deputy chairman Benny Harman, who was directing the meeting, take notes and write down his comprehension of the KPK’s work.
“You don't understand the explanation because you don’t write it down,” Saut said, responding to Benny, who interrupted Saut while he was attempting to explain the mechanisms used to follow up on reports and tip-offs from the public on alleged graft cases.
Saut’s remarks quickly raised protest from other Commission III members.
Lawmaker Erma Suryani Ranik lambasted Saut for his "disrespectful response".
“You must respect the chairman of the meeting. All of us must do so,” said Erma from the Democratic Party.
Other lawmakers, including Wenny Warouw from the Gerindra Party, expressed a greater degree of anger, and shouted at Saut.
"The chairman of the meeting asked you to give an explanation. You don’t need to be defensive," said Wenny, a former police general who later questioned the mechanisms used by the KPK, which he claimed were not in line with the work of police officers investigating cases. (ipa)
- Popular tourist sites in Bali safe amid tremors around Mount Agung
- Court dismisses KPK’s objection in Setya’s pretrial hearing
- 'Super malaria' spreading through SE Asia, poses global threat
- Bill Gates expresses regret over ‘Control+Alt+Delete’ button
- Mamma Mia! British star Colin Firth is now Italian
- Tourism minister officiates new diving center in Tanjung Lesung
- Entrepreneur wants to put Indonesia on the world technology map
- Car Free Day ineffective in reducing air pollution: Committee
- KPK arrests 10 in Banten bribery case
- Violence cases against women, children in Jambi increased: Official