Anies accused of reneging on election promise
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan only gave a thumbs up when asked about a plan of the Confederation of Indonesian Workers Union (KSPI) to rally on Friday against the provincial minimum wage (UMP).
He declined to comment on the claim by KSPI chairman Said Iqbal that Anies had reneged on all his campaign promises in determining the UMP at Rp 3.6 million (US$266) in accordance with Government Regulation No. 78/2015, which stipulates it be set by taking into account inflation and economic growth.
The workers proposed a Rp 3.9 million minimum wage in accordance with Law No. 13/2003, which takes into account not only inflation and economic growth but also the basic cost of living.
"We'll see," Anies said briefly at City Hall on Thursday as quoted by tempo.co.
According to Said, Anies signed a political contract with the Jakarta Workers' Coalition to set the UMP in accordance with Law No. 13/2003.
"If he cannot fulfill it, he shouldn’t have signed the political contract," he said.
Said added that Anies could not take credit for providing facilities to make up for the lower UMP, such as free access to Transjakarta buses and discounts at city-owned markets. He said such facilities were introduced by the previous governor, Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama.
Chairman of Anies' transition team, Sudirman Said, claimed he had not seen the political contract that was signed during the election campaign. (dis)
- Lake Toba to hold Gowes Samosir cycling event
- Karetan Market partners with waste management startup company
- Celebrity Fitri Carlina endorses Wonderful Indonesia, Banyuwangi tourism
- Block porn or be blocked, Indonesia warns Google, Twitter
- Tourism Ministry, KBRI promote five Indonesian destinations in Thailand
- West Papua to host Senja Kaimana Festival 2017
- Karetan Market holds vlog competition for visitors
- Facebook launches new ‘Facebook Creator’ app for video content creators
- Apple pushes back release of HomePod speaker to 2018
- East Java to host Situbondo Carnival