ASEAN, Hong Kong sign free trade agreement
The Jakarta Post
ASEAN and Hong Kong signed a free trade and investment agreement on Monday, hoping to strengthen economic cooperation between the two parties and stimulate development in the region.
The two agreements, the ASEAN-Hong Kong, China Free Trade Agreement (AHKFTA) and the ASEAN-Hong Kong Investment Agreement (AHKIA), were signed at the the 31st ASEAN-Hong Kong summit in Manila, Antara reported on Monday.
“The agreements create opportunities for ASEAN because they will ensure greater access to both trade and investment,” Philippine Trade and Industry Secretary Ramon Lopez said.
He said the agreements also create opportunities for micro, small and medium enterprises in ASEAN countries to increase their presence in Hong Hong.
AHKFTA is the sixth free trade agreement signed by ASEAN, having already signed free trade agreements with China, South Korea, Japan, India, Australia and New Zealand. (bbn)
- Indonesia's digital policy lacking focus
- Number of rejected Schengen visa applications for Indonesia increases
- Human rights at risk for ASEAN citizens
- Electric cars made by Indonesian students featured at Jakarta motor show
- Philippines closes Boracay to tourists under high security
- Headscarved students banned from performing 'gambyong' dance
- Anger as Fiji tourism ad swaps 'church' for 'toilet'
- New York Times' Weinstein investigation to be developed as film
- Nod for 'Jack Ryan' season 2
- Coal miner Indika to set aside 42% of profit as dividends