ASEAN, Hong Kong sign free trade agreement
The Jakarta Post
ASEAN and Hong Kong signed a free trade and investment agreement on Monday, hoping to strengthen economic cooperation between the two parties and stimulate development in the region.
The two agreements, the ASEAN-Hong Kong, China Free Trade Agreement (AHKFTA) and the ASEAN-Hong Kong Investment Agreement (AHKIA), were signed at the the 31st ASEAN-Hong Kong summit in Manila, Antara reported on Monday.
“The agreements create opportunities for ASEAN because they will ensure greater access to both trade and investment,” Philippine Trade and Industry Secretary Ramon Lopez said.
He said the agreements also create opportunities for micro, small and medium enterprises in ASEAN countries to increase their presence in Hong Hong.
AHKFTA is the sixth free trade agreement signed by ASEAN, having already signed free trade agreements with China, South Korea, Japan, India, Australia and New Zealand. (bbn)
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program
- Women accused of assassinating Kim Jong Nam face key court ruling
- Tourists cause human traffic jam at Mt. Fuji
- Venezuelan general, colonel arrested over 'attack' on Maduro
- Prosecutors demand 1.5 years for Buddhist woman on ‘azan’ blasphemy charge
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech
- Indonesian academics can now access e-journal databases worth $1m for free
- Malaysia to alter 'hideous' tourism logo featuring ape in shades
- 'Monster Hunter' on hold as China hits pause on new video games
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world