Presidential permission not needed to question Setya: KPK
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) said on Monday that the antigraft body did not need written permission from President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo to summons House of Representatives Speaker Setya Novanto for questioning in its investigation into the e-ID graft case.
The KPK made the statement in response to Setya's claim that the KPK must secure written permission from the President if it wanted to question him because he was a House member.
The Golkar Party chairman was scheduled to undergo questioning at the KPK on Monday as a witness in the high-profile graft case.
“No, we don't need [such permission],” KPK commissioner Saut Situmorang said as quoted by kompas.com after an event at the University of Indonesia in Depok, West Java, on Monday.
(Read also: KPK to question Setya Novanto as e-ID witness)
Setya sent a letter to the KPK on Monday morning informing the antigraft body that he would only submit to questioning after it obtained written permission from President Jokowi as stipulated in the Legislative Institutions ( MD3 ) Law.
Many constitutional experts have said, however, that such a rule was not applicable for extraordinary crimes, such as corruption.
Setya was renamed a suspect in the e-ID case on Friday after winning a pretrial motion against the antigraft body.
Saut did say whether the KPK would forcefully summons Setya.
“Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Maybe God will change his mind so that he will be willing to come and admit [his mistakes]. Everyone can repent,” Saut said. (foy/ebf)
- EDITORIAL: Politics in Pertamina shakeup
- Setya Novanto e-ID graft case timeline
- Danareksa eyes Rp 500 billion AUM from new ETF product
- Education ministry cancels anti-LGBT event
- Don't panic, minister says as rupiah weakens
- Man dies of exhaustion on South Jakarta road
- Chiang Mai woman’s tattoo is ‘practical magic’
- Maria Simorangkir crowned Indonesian Idol 2018
- Rp 1 trillion invested through Bareksa digital investment portal
- Big secrets, bumper box-office for 'Avengers: Infinity War'