Jesuit priest rues 'Ananda walkout' during Governor's Kanisius speech
The Jakarta Post
Catholic scholar and Jesuit priest Franz Magnis-Suseno has issued a statement regretting the action of noted pianist Ananda Sukarlan, who walked out during Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan's speech at the 90th anniversary event of his alma mater, Canisius College.
Canisius College, also known as Kolese Kanisius, is one of the oldest and most reputable all-male Catholic schools in Jakarta. Anies and several other alumni reportedly walked out during the newly elected Governor's speech on the grounds that Anies's values contradicted the school's principles.
“The walkout might have been acceptable if the Governor said something inappropriate, evil or defamatory. But yesterday's walkout showed hostility towards the Governor," Magnis-Suseno said in the statement on Monday.
The Jesuit priest said that Ananda should have respected the organizers' decision to invite Anies to speak at the anniversary celebration, which was held on Saturday evening at the JIExpo Kemayoran in Central Jakarta.
"I could not agree with [Ananda's] walkout. We must respect all guests. Everyone should respect the other invitees, even if [the guests] have different opinions," he added.
Magnis-Suseno admitted that he did not personally witness Ananda's walkout, since he left the celebration early.
Ananda, an alumnus of Canisius College, was attending the school’s 90th anniversary celebration to receive an award for his achievements in music.
Footage of Ananda's walkout went viral on social media, showing the renowned pianist and composer criticizing the organizers for inviting Anies in his acceptance speech. (wnd)
- Me and my (porn) shadow: 'Spycam' epidemic seizes South Korea
- Setya Novanto pays $50,000 in restitution installment to KPK
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Four earthquakes strike off Canada's west coast
- Indonesian tourism set to beat Thailand in 5 years
- Suspected HTI flag burning sparks controversy among Muslims
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja stuns 'American Idol' judges
- Australia hits five Myanmar generals with sanctions
- Meikarta project abides by spatial regulation: Minister
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world