Activists condemn visitors who gave alcohol to Taman Safari animals
The Jakarta Post
Videos showing visitors giving red wine to a deer and a hippopotamus at Taman Safari Indonesia in Cisarua, Bogor, West Java, went viral after animal welfare activists reposted them on their Instagram accounts.
The videos were uploaded by accounts @alyccaaa and @philipbiondi using Instagram stories. In one video, they lured a deer with the wine before pouring it into the animal's mouth.
A man was seen pouring red wine into a hippopotamus' gaping mouth in another video with a caption that read “Jackpot.”
The videos were condemned by animal welfare activists who reposted them on their Instagram accounts.
Animal welfare group Garda Satwa Indonesia stated in its recent Instagram post that the people only visited Taman Safari for entertainment and that they neglected its educational benefits.
“They only came for fun, which resulted in them forgetting the boundaries and violating the rules,” the account stated.
Jakarta Animal Aid Network (JAAN) also condemned the actions, which they regarded as a reflection of the perpetrators’ lack of education.
“It breaks our heart as activists and rescuers to see you having ‘fun’ with a lack of or even without education,” they said.
The post was followed by a screen capture of an apology from one of the perpetrators.
“I regret my video post this afternoon, and I apologize... I hope you can forgive me,” the post stated. (ecn)
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- Tourism's fatal warning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- 8-meter python slain after swallowing woman in Southeast Sulawesi
- Indonesia lists 180 missing on doomed ferry, launches underwater search
- Search on for dozens missing in Indonesia ferry sinking
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Indonesia takes a bite out of food waste one wedding at a time
- Taliban kill 30 soldiers in first major attack since ceasefire, governor says
- U2's Bono calls on US lawmakers to end family separations