Activists condemn visitors who gave alcohol to Taman Safari animals
The Jakarta Post
Videos showing visitors giving red wine to a deer and a hippopotamus at Taman Safari Indonesia in Cisarua, Bogor, West Java, went viral after animal welfare activists reposted them on their Instagram accounts.
The videos were uploaded by accounts @alyccaaa and @philipbiondi using Instagram stories. In one video, they lured a deer with the wine before pouring it into the animal's mouth.
A man was seen pouring red wine into a hippopotamus' gaping mouth in another video with a caption that read “Jackpot.”
The videos were condemned by animal welfare activists who reposted them on their Instagram accounts.
Animal welfare group Garda Satwa Indonesia stated in its recent Instagram post that the people only visited Taman Safari for entertainment and that they neglected its educational benefits.
“They only came for fun, which resulted in them forgetting the boundaries and violating the rules,” the account stated.
Jakarta Animal Aid Network (JAAN) also condemned the actions, which they regarded as a reflection of the perpetrators’ lack of education.
“It breaks our heart as activists and rescuers to see you having ‘fun’ with a lack of or even without education,” they said.
The post was followed by a screen capture of an apology from one of the perpetrators.
“I regret my video post this afternoon, and I apologize... I hope you can forgive me,” the post stated. (ecn)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says