4 die as extreme weather hits Wonogiri
Ganug Nugroho Adi
The Jakarta Post
Four people died amid flooding and landslides in Tirtomoyo and Manyaran districts in Wonogiri, Central Java, on Wednesday.
Regional Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) personnel and search and rescue (SAR) volunteers have recovered the bodies of the victims. “Two victims were found in Tirtomoyo while two others were discovered in Manyaran,” SAR Wonogiri operations division head Ashari Mursito Wisnu told The Jakarta Post.
Two victims identified as Aditya, 15, and Painem, 56, died after they were dragged by floodwaters that swept Batusari village, Manyaran. Two victims buried by a landslide have yet to be identified.
Separately, BPBD Wonogiri head Bambang Haryanto said around 2,000 Wonogiri residents across 14 districts were forced to leave their homes as high intensity rains hit the area from Tuesday morning until Wednesday, causing several rivers to overflow and inundate their surrounding areas.
“Fourteen of 18 districts in Wonogiri were hit by flooding,” Bambang said.
On Tuesday, the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) urged people, especially those in Java, to be on alert over the potential of extreme natural events in the next three days related to a tropical cyclone called Cempaka, which had formed on the south coast of Java on Monday.
BMKG head Mulyono Rahadi Prabowo said on Tuesday that the cyclone would bring heavy rains in most areas of Java, especially south Banten, southwest Java, Central Java, Yogyakarta, East Java and Bali.(hol/ebf)
Extreme weather: Flooding in Nguntoronadi district, Wonogiri, Central Java, on Nov..28. (JP/Ganug Nugroho Adi)
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- K-Pop stars BTS at UN urge world's youth to 'just speak yourself'
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- 'Scandal' website portrays Sandiaga Uno as womanizer
- Medan police officer imprisoned for shredding Quran
- The Indonesian kid who stirs the Hollywood Bowl: Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja
- New Zealand PM makes UN history with first baby
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world