Diphtheria claims four lives in Tangerang
The Jakarta Post
The Tangerang Health Agency reported on Wednesday that the diphtheria outbreak in the regency had claimed four lives, all of them children aged between four and six years old.
The agency’s chairwoman Desiriana Dinardianti said since April, 23 residents in Tangerang had been infected by the deadly bacterial infection.
“Two of them are still undergoing medical treatment at Tangerang Regional General Hospital [RSUD],” she said as reported by Tempo.
RSUD Tangerang has treated 30 patients infected with diphteria. Most of them are from Depok, Jakarta, Lebak and Serang.
(Read also: Govt. strives to contain spread of diphtheria)
RSUD Tangerang public relations officer Ade Yudi Firmansyah said the hospital had been mandated a center of reference in treating diphtheria cases in Banten province.
“Many of the patients are getting better and will be allowed to go home sometime soon,” he said.
Tangerang regent Ahmed Zaki had declared a health emergency (KLB) for a diphtheria outbreak in the regency last October after dozens of people were taken to hospitals for diphtheria infections.
Diphteria is a bacterial infection that affects the mucous membranes of the throat and nose and can lead to death. The bacteria clogs the patients’ airways, affecting respiration. (vla/ebf)
- Bali to develop offshore airport
- ‘Angkot’ drivers demand fewer OK OTrip program requirements
- Novel Baswedan returns home
- Indonesia introduces tax data integration system to boost transparency
- Yogyakarta to transform into Indonesian Silicon Valley
- Five feared dead, dozens buried in Brebes landslide
- Provincial governments to maximize inter-province trade
- Yogyakarta academicians call on MK chief justice to step down
- German arrested over alleged drug smuggling
- Winners of the 2018 Brit Awards