Indonesia condemns Trump’s Israel support
The Jakarta Post
The Foreign Ministry has condemned the decision by United States President Donald Trump to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, saying that as a democratic country, “the US should know what democracy means”.
Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi said in her opening speech at the Bali Democracy Forum on Thursday that Democracy meant respecting international law, while the recognition by Trump as well as his decision to relocate the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem did not respect various United Nations Security Council (UNSC) resolutions.
Wearing a traditional Palestinian scarf while delivering the speech, Retno emphasized that Indonesia and its people would always be committed to the Palestinian people.
“Indonesia will always stand with Palestine,” she said to the delegations of 99 countries, including the US, in Serpong, Tangerang.
Support also came from Tunisian Foreign Affairs Minister Khemaies Jhianoul, who presented at the forum. He said Trump’s decision would hamper the peace process in the disputed area.
“Tunisia in this respect reiterated its strong position to support Palestine to have its own independent state,” he said.
After more than two decades of waiver from the previous administration, Trump said he made the decision as “we are no closer to a lasting peace agreement between Israel and Palestinians”. He also emphasized that repeating the same approach would not produce a better result. (dmr)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang dead at 61: State media
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world