PPP seeks unity ahead of 2019 elections
The Jakarta Post
The United Development Party (PPP) is hoping to overcome internal friction as the 2019 presidential and legislative elections draw closer.
PPP deputy secretary-general Achmad Baidowi said the party’s central executive board, assembled during a national congress in Pondok Gede, East Jakarta, in April 2016 and led by Muhammad “Romy” Romahurmuziy, wished that the splinter faction led by Djan Faridz would join Romy’s camp.
Achmad made the statement following the Supreme Court’s ruling, which rejected an appeal filed by Djan and his faction secretary, Achmad Dimyati Natakusumah, to settle PPP’s executive board dispute.
“As the ruling is final and legally binding, we are inviting all PPP cadres to unite before the 2019 elections,” said Baidowi, as quoted by Antara on Tuesday.
“We welcome our colleagues [from the Djan-led faction] to join us.”
Baidowi urged all members to show party loyalty, because the PPP was aiming to stay one of the top three parties in terms of electoral votes.
Baidowi specifically asked Achmad Dimyati to stay in PPP following reports that he had joined the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) to run as a candidate in the 2019 legislative election.
He further said political tensions inside the party had to be stopped, as all legal issues had been resolved. All court rulings have legalized PPP’s central executive board resulting from the Pondok Gede congress in 2016, including the Supreme Court rulings No.79/2017 and No.514/2017, he added. (nmn/ebf)
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Bank Indonesia hikes rate to 6 percent
- Next US House foreign affairs chief vows to check Trump, warns Russia
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Lion Air passengers change planes because of broken AC