36 nightclubs in Jakarta allegedly fertile ground for drug trade: BNN chief
The Jakarta Post
National Narcotics Agency (BNN) chief Comr. Gen. Budi Waseso said his agency suspected that 36 nightclubs in Jakarta might be stomping grounds for drug dealers.
He added that they have investigated 81 nightclubs in Jakarta, of which 36 were suspected of allowing drug abuse.
"Which ones they are is obviously a secret, but we will conduct surprise raids on New Year’s Eve," he said, as quoted by wartakota.tribunnews.com on Thursday.
Budi added that his agency would coordinate with the police and increase surveillance at the clubs.
"We have investigated the clubs and there are drug transactions, conducted by a network of distributors, taking place there. We hope that all the distributors are present when we raid these clubs on New Year’s Eve,” Budi said.
The former National Police's Criminal Investigation Department chief sent out this warning after destroying drugs at the Soekarno-Hatta International Airport garbage plant in Tangerang, Banten.
The drugs, including one million PCC pills, 453.56 kilograms of methamphetamine or shabu, 712,000 ecstasy pills, 647.13 kg of marijuana, 10,000 happy five pills and 69.78 kg of cathinone, were seized during a joint operation with the National Police over the last three months.
Earlier this month, the MG International Club in Grogol Petamburan, West Jakarta, was raided by BNN Jakarta for producing and selling liquid methamphetamine. Last month, the city administration closed down the Diamond Karaoke and Lounge in West Jakarta after allegations that drugs were being distributed inside the venue. (dis)
- FBI warned Trump's son in-law on Murdoch ex-wife: report
- Bekasi wants roads free of 'Pak Ogah'
- Police issue second summons for Sandiaga
- Anies orders transportation agency, police to ticket traffic violators
- Immigration office hunts two foreigners at protest in Batam
- Engineers union to analyze cause of IDX collapsed floor
- Indonesia's foreign debt stands at $347.3b, 34% of GDP
- Couple forced to marry after caught being alone at fruit farm
- IDX Tower 2 never been renovated: Management
- Voldemort film now available for free on YouTube