Susi insists on continuing her ship-sinking policy
The Jakarta Post
Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Minister Susi Pudjiastuti has insisted that she will continue to sink ships that have been found guilty of operating illegally in Indonesian waters.
Coordinating Maritime Affairs Minister Luhut Pandjaitan said previously that Susi had been told to stop the policy, saying that foreign fishing boats were aware that the country enforced tough punishment on illegal fishing.
Susi said on Tuesday that those opposed to her policy should speak with President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo because the boat sinking was part of the implementation of Law No. 45/2009 on fisheries.
She stressed that it was not her personal wish to enforce tough punishments against illegal fishing, but it was a mandate ordered by the law.
She added that the ministry only sank ships that had been found guilty of operating illegally by the courts.
“We only execute a court decision,” she added as reported by kompas.com.
The ministry started cracking down on illegal fishing in 2015. More than 380 vessels have since been scuttled or destroyed, with last year’s figure alone reaching 87 ships weighing between 70 and 120 gross tonnage. (bbn)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’