Incumbent pair faces no rival in Tangerang mayoral election
The Jakarta Post
Incumbent pair Arief R. Wismansyah and Sachrudin face no competition in the upcoming Tangerang mayoral election in Banten.
"Although we only have one candidate pair, we will move forward with normal procedures," Tangerang General Elections Commission (KPU Tangerang) chairman Sanusi Pane said in a written statement on Wednesday night as reported by kompas.com.
He added that a question and answer session would be held in lieu of a debate to assess the pair’s competence.
The incumbent pair is backed by all parties controlling seats on the Tangerang Legislative Council (DPRD).
The commission, Sanusi said, would start verifying the pair’s documents and test results.
KPU Tangerang will announce whether the pair has fulfilled all requirements on Feb. 12.
Separately, Arief said he would not take his sole candidacy for granted as he had to secure at least 50 percent of the vote during the election. (fac)
- Thousands sign petition against sentence for Malaysian who abused maid
- Bottled water meets quality standards: BPOM
- Saudi Arabia beheads Indonesian worker despite Jokowi’s pleas for clemency
- Four-meter snake found in West Jakarta restaurant
- US, Japan assist South Korea on historic summits with North Korea
- Anies issues regulation simplifying process of shutting down entertainment spots
- No condoms or cigarettes sold at Muslim convenience store in Depok
- Residents clash with police personnel in land execution in C. Sulawesi
- Singapore Airlines warns customers against air tickets scam
- Earthquake strikes Banten, tremors felt in Jakarta