Host shuttlers stay focused to win Indonesia Masters
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia secured four places in Sunday's finals of the 2018 Daihatsu Indonesia Masters, after three of its pairs and a men's singles shuttler played dominantly on Saturday.
In Saturday's semifinals, mixed doubles duo Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir nailed the first success for the hosting country, outclassing compatriots Praveen Jordan and Melati Daeva Oktavianti 22-20 and 21-17 at the recently revamped Istora Senayan indoor stadium in Gelora Bung Karno complex, Jakarta.
The 2016 Rio Olympic gold medalists will face sixth-seeded pair Zheng Siwei and Huang Yaqiong of China in the final.
Anthony Sinisuka Ginting kept wowing the crowds at Istora, as he stunned his Taiwanese opponent Chou Tien Chen 21-16, 13-21 and 21-12 in men's singles.
Playing aggressively and staying calm during the match was the key to his success in crushing Chou, Ginting said.
In the final, Ginting is set to play against Japan's Kazumasa Sakai, who beat Son Wan-ho of South Korea in the semis.
The 2017 French Open winners, Greysia Polii and Apriani Rahayu, are closer to winning their second Super Series title after defeating fifth seeds Lee So-hee and Shin Seung-chan of South Korea. The Indonesian pair will face Matsutomo and Ayaka Takahashi of Japan in the finals.
Men's doubles pair Marcus Fernaldi Gideon and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo saved the last final spot after outwitting India's Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty 21-14 and 21-11.
Top seeds Marcus and Kevin face second seeds Li Junhui and Liu Yuchen of China in the finals.
Meanwhile, India's Saina Nehwal and Tai Tzu Ying of Taiwan will clash for the women's singles title.
The final round on Sunday will start at 12 p.m.
- Indonesia extends export recommendation for Freeport
- Jakarta-Bandung railway project won’t meet target: Minister
- Jakarta prepares traffic strategy for Asian Games
- Mt. Sinabung spews massive smoke-and-ash column
- Anti-LGBT team established in Depok
- Supreme Court receives Ahok’s case review petition
- Visitors flock to Kopi Johny to talk to Hotman Paris Hutapea about legal matters
- Tearful French skater's 'worst nightmare' after dress mishap
- Myanmar seizes drugs and equipment worth $7 m in lab raid
- IS ambush kills 27 pro-government fighters in Iraq