Golkar politician, lawyer to testify in e-ID hearing
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Corruption Court will hear testimony from former Golkar Party lawmaker Chairuman Harahap, who is a witness in the e-ID graft case implicating former House of Representatives speaker Setya Novanto.
Apart from the politician, lawyer Hotma Sitompul and Setya Budi Arijanta, the National Procurement Agency (LKPP) director of legal affairs, are also set to testify during Thursday’s hearing.
Chairuman, who between 2009 and 2014 was chairman of House Commission II, was named in the indictment against Setya.
According to the indictment, Chairuman and the defendant allegedly asked for a commitment fee amounting to 5 percent of the Rp 5.9 trillion (US$440 million) budget earmarked for the project, from businessmen Andi Agustinus aka Andi Narogong and Paulus Tanos during a meeting in Jakarta.
Hotma confessed in separate trials to accepting $400,000 from Irman and Sugiharto, former Home Ministry officials who have been convicted in the case, when they asked for his legal assistance. He later testified that he handed over the money to the antigraft body.
The lawyer was first assigned to provide legal assistance to the officials who were reported to the Jakarta Police in relation to the e-ID project, after being introduced to Irman and Sugiharto by Chairuman.
Setya has been indicted on suspicion of having played a major role in the case, which has reportedly cost the state Rp 2.3 trillion.
- After stunning growth streak, Amazon ambitions seem boundless
- No instruction to bar Anies from pitch: Palace
- 'Do not test Israel', Netanyahu tells Iran, brandishing drone 'piece'
- Romeo the lonesome frog is feelin' the love
- Fidel Castro is not Trudeau's real father: Canadian govt
- Daddy Yankee gets the world dancing again with viral song
- Philippines says in talks with China for joint sea exploration
- Enjoying legendary 'Jenang' in Surakarta
- Saudi women to start own busines without male permission
- Seeking post-Brexit unity, EU leaders find more fights