Zumi Zola not stepping down after being named graft suspect
The Jakarta Post
A day after being named a graft suspect by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK), Jambi Governor Zumi Zola said on Saturday he would not step down and would continue to work.
In a press conference held in his official residence on Saturday, the former actor said Home Minister Tjahyo Kumolo had not issued an instruction for him to leave his post.
He sent a plea for the public to maintain the presumption of innocence while the case was under investigation.
On Friday, the antigraft body named Zumi Zola a suspect in a graft case related to the 2018 Jambi provincial budget. He has also been barred from traveling overseas since Jan. 25.
KPK investigators searched his official residence in Jambi and a villa in East Tanjung Jabung from Wednesday to early morning on Thursday. They seized several documents and three vaults containing cash in both rupiah and US dollars.
Zumi Zola faces charges under the 2001 Corruption Law, which carries a maximum punishment of 20 years' imprisonment as well as a Rp 1 billion (US$74,600) fine.
Zumi Zola started his political career as National Mandate Party (PAN) Tanjung Jabung chairman in 2010. He served as Tanjung Jabung regent in 2011 and won the 2015 election to serve as Jambi governor for the 2016 - 2021 term.
Besides Zumi Zola, three other Jambi officials and a PAN member of the legislative council have also been named suspects in the case. (gis/ahw)
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Muslim inmates fed pork during Ramadhan: Activists
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China
- BREAKING: Indonesia passes stronger antiterrorism law
- Costly holiday
- Indonesia shakes off nerves for Thomas Cup semifinal against China
- Government is representation of God on earth: State Palace official
- Malaysia's defeated UMNO party asks for its money back
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- US wasted billions in failed Afghan stabilization efforts: official