Lukas Enembe, Klemen Tinal committed to maintaining the state
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
Papua governor and deputy governor candidates Lukas Enembe and Klemen Tinal (Lukmen) promised in front of thousands of their supporters that they would maintain the solidarity of the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia (NKRI). They also promised to move forward Papua under the state.
“Both of us are the guardians of the NKRI in Papua. Up until today, Papua remains safe. Infrastructure development supported by [President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo] has continued to run, and it has been proven that in the last five years, we as Papua governor and deputy governor have managed to maintain the province to remain secure,” said the incumbent gubernatorial candidate during an outdoor campaign event at Theys Hiyo Eluay Square in Sentani, Jayapura, Papua, on Thursday.
The event opened the Papua gubernatorial election campaign period, which will run until the Papua gubernatorial election on June 27.
The Lukmen incumbent candidate pair will contest against pair John Wempi Wetipo-Habel Melkias Suwae (Josua) in the election.
Enthusiastic: Thousands of people show their support for Papua governor and deputy governor candidates Lukas Enembe and Klemen Tinal (Lukmen) in a campaign event at Theys Hiyo Eluay Square in Sentani, Jayapura, Papua, on Thursday. (JP/Nethy Dharma Somba)
The Lukmen pair is supported by at least eight parties, namely the Democratic Party, the National Awakening Party (PKB), the National Mandate Party (PAN), the NasDem Party, the Golkar Party, the United Development Party (PPP), the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), and the Indonesian Justice and Unity Party (PKPI).
Meanwhile, the Josua pair is supported by two parties: the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) and the Gerindra Party. The inaugural campaign event was attended by NasDem Party chairman Surya Paloh. "Lukmen has been proven successful in developing Papua; hence, they need to be supported." (ebf)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- Creator of 3-D printed guns flies to Taiwan amid US sex assault accusation
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Malaysia ex-PM faces 21 new charges over 1MDB scandal
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Tourism Ministry declares five dishes national food
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- BMKG warns of heavy rains, high waves as Typhoon Mangkhut ends