Financier prepared Rp 200 million for Thamrin suicide bomber
The Jakarta Post
A man acting as a financier prepared Rp 200 million (US$14,531) along with firearms for a suicide bomber involved in the terrorist attack on Jl. MH Thamrin in Central Jakarta on Jan. 14, 2016, a witness told the South Jakarta District Court on Tuesday.
Saiful Munthohir was a witness in the trial of Aman Abdurrahman, the alleged mastermind of the gun and bomb attack that killed eight people, including five terrorists. Some 20 others, police officers and civilians, were injured.
Saiful said suicide bomber Muhammad Ali was given Rp 200 million from someone named Rohis.
“For amaliyah [a religious practice] a total of Rp 200 million was needed,” said Saiful as quoted by kompas.com.
Along with the Rp 200 million, Rohis also provided several firearms to be used by the attackers. Two of the firearms were shown in court and confirmed by Saiful as the weapons provided.
According to Saiful, only Rp 75 million of the money was used in the attack and he did not know where the rest of the money went. Muhammad Ali and four of his fellow bombers were killed in the attack, namely Sugito, Dian Juni, Sunakim alias Afif, and Ahmad Muhazan.
Sugito and Dian Juni died on Jl. Thamrin in a bomb blast at a traffic police post located in the middle of the road. Afif and Muhammad Ali were shot by the police in the parking lot of Starbucks café, while Ahmad Muhazan blew himself up inside Starbucks. (jlm)
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Intel CEO resigns after probe of relationship with employee
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia's growing thirst for coffee drains premium bean supplies
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Pro IS cleric gets death for inspiring terror attacks in Indonesia
- India offers free e-visa for Indonesians
- Britain's Prince William on historic trip to Israel and West Bank
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...