Soekarno-Hatta airport to serve 100m passengers in 2025
The Jakarta Post
State-owned airport operator PT Angkasa Pura II (AP) is in the process of acquiring land for a third runway at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Tangerang, Banten, to boost the airport’s capacity to 100 million passengers by 2025.
AP II president director Muhammad Awaluddin said the Rp 2.6 trillion (US$189 million) project was designed to increase the take-off and landing frequency to 114 movements from currently 81.
“With the construction of the third runway, we will boost the aircraft movements at this airport,” Awaluddin said in a statement received by The Jakarta Post on Sunday.
The third runway would be built on 216 hectares of land, of which AP II had so far acquired 115 ha. The acquisition of the remaining 101 ha was expected to be completed in September 2018, he added.
The land that will be acquired is located in the villages of Bojong Renget, Rawa Buring and Rawa Rengas in Tangerang, he added.
Meanwhile, Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi said the government supported the expansion of the airport with the construction of key infrastructure projects.
“The construction of the key projects at Soekarno-Hatta airport will certainly improve services for the airlines and [passengers],” he said while visiting the airport on Sunday.
AP II is in the process of constructing the first phase of the east cross taxiway to connect the existing north and south runways to increase airplane mobility and thereby boost movements to 86 per hour. (bbn)
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Republican urges conservatives to run against Trump in 2020
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Political parties clash over sharia-based bylaws
- Your next Uber ride may have a minifridge stocked with snacks
- Indonesia launches 16th economic package
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw