Soekarno-Hatta airport to serve 100m passengers in 2025
The Jakarta Post
State-owned airport operator PT Angkasa Pura II (AP) is in the process of acquiring land for a third runway at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Tangerang, Banten, to boost the airport’s capacity to 100 million passengers by 2025.
AP II president director Muhammad Awaluddin said the Rp 2.6 trillion (US$189 million) project was designed to increase the take-off and landing frequency to 114 movements from currently 81.
“With the construction of the third runway, we will boost the aircraft movements at this airport,” Awaluddin said in a statement received by The Jakarta Post on Sunday.
The third runway would be built on 216 hectares of land, of which AP II had so far acquired 115 ha. The acquisition of the remaining 101 ha was expected to be completed in September 2018, he added.
The land that will be acquired is located in the villages of Bojong Renget, Rawa Buring and Rawa Rengas in Tangerang, he added.
Meanwhile, Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi said the government supported the expansion of the airport with the construction of key infrastructure projects.
“The construction of the key projects at Soekarno-Hatta airport will certainly improve services for the airlines and [passengers],” he said while visiting the airport on Sunday.
AP II is in the process of constructing the first phase of the east cross taxiway to connect the existing north and south runways to increase airplane mobility and thereby boost movements to 86 per hour. (bbn)
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- Malaysia issues arrest warrants for ex-1MDB executives
- Thailand's cave boys wake up at home for first time in weeks
- Rapes and beatings: The torments of South Korea's young athletes
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Russian 'agent' held on charges of seeking to infiltrate US govt
- BMKG warns of high waves around Lombok
- Prabowo visits Yudhoyono in hospital