Muaro Jambi teacher accused of sexually abusing student
The Jakarta Post
A teacher at an Islamic junior high school in Muaro Jambi regency, Jambi, is under investigation for allegedly sexually abusing one of their students.
According to Muaro Jambi Police spokesman Comr. Adj. Dastu Gustiawan, the teacher asked the victim to see them in a classroom when the victim was playing table tennis in the school's playground at around 4.30 p.m. on Wednesday.
“The student did not suspect anything as it was their own teacher who had called them,” Dastu said on Saturday.
The teacher allegedly assaulted the student several times in the classroom and told the student to stay silent about the incident.
However, the student reportedly told their aunt about the assault, who then filed a report with the Muaro Jambi Police. The victim is receiving medical treatment at a hospital in Jambi.
The suspect is facing 15 years in prison if found guilty of child abuse as stipulated under Article 82 of the 2014 Child Protection Law.
“The police are investigating the report,” Dastu said. (dpk/ahw)
- 53 injured as Saudi jet makes emergency landing
- Minibus driver used Facebook before deadly crash: reports
- Fuel consumption in Papua drops ahead of Idul Fitri
- Police find 'missing' teen's body at South Jakarta apartment
- FamilyMart to allow Airbnb users to pick up keys at its stores
- Commentary: Soeharto's most likely successor? How about Prabowo?
- 'Solo' director says new 'Star Wars' film puts character first
- Unattended suitcase causes security alert in Batam
- Florida cities are most at risk from climate change: Report
- Police probe Jakarta officials on fatal Monas incident